This is a wonderful English antique William IV sterling silver tray, or salver, by the world famous silversmith Paul Storr.
It has clear hallmarks for London 1820 the makers mark of Paul Storr.
It is typical of his work with the octafoil shape and the exquisitely detailed reeded rim, and it is raised on four delightful foliate and shell scroll feet.
The centre is engraved with a shield shaped coat of arms which I have had researched.
The Marital Arms of Knollis and Hallifax
The armorial bearings as engraved upon this George IV Large English Sterling Silver Footed Salver by Paul Storr hallmarked London 1820 are those of the family of Knollis with Hallifax in pretence. These armorial bearings denote the marshalling of a marital coat showing the arms of the husband over the entire surface of the shield, whilst the arms of the wife (as an heraldic heiress) are placed on a small shield (known as an escutcheon of pretence) centrally on the husband’s arms.
They may be blazoned as follows:
Quarterly 1st and 4th Azure crusily of cross crosslets a cross moline voided or (for Knollys) 2nd and 3rd Gules on a chevron argent three roses of the field barbed proper (for Knollys) over all an escutcheon of pretence Or on a pile engrailed sable between two fountains barry wavy of six argent and azure three cross crosslets of the first (for Hallifax)
An elephant argent [differenced with a mullet1 ] (for Knollys)
In utrumque paratus [Prepared for either] (for Knollys)
These armorial bearings undoubtedly commemorate the marriage of The Honourable and Reverend Francis Knollis2 (baptised 3rd January 1743 died 27th February 1826),
1 The cadency mark for a third son of a family. 2 Francis appears to have preferred this spelling of his family’s surname. It is spelt as it is to be pronounced.
of Burford in the County of Oxfordshire and of Eastleach Martin in the County of Gloucestershire and Mary Hallifax (baptised 5th March 1753 buried 18th December 1830). Francis and Mary were married at the Parish Church of St Mary, Ewell in the County of Surrey on the 9th June 1772. Francis was the third son of Charles Knollys (the titular 5th Earl of Banbury) 3 and his wife, Martha Hughes, whilst Mary was the daughter of The Reverend James Hallifax, of Ewell aforesaid and his wife, Elizabeth Chardavoyn.
3 Francis’s father claimed to be the 5th Earl of Banbury. A claim that continued to be pursued by the family until William Knollys, the titular 8th Earl of Banbury (born 1763 died 1834) was forced to discontinue its use by a resolution of the House of Lords which rejected his claim to the earldom in 1813.
The crest surmounts a detailed dedication:
This piece of plate was presented to the Honourable Rev Knolls by the inhabitants of the town and immediate neighbourhood of Burford on his completing the fiftieth year of his incumbency as the vicar of Burford.
In testimony of their high respect 11th April 1821
There is no mistaking its unique quality and design, which is sure to make it a treasured piece by any discerning collector.
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 3 x Width 36 x Depth 36
Weight 1.52 kg
Dimensions in inches:
Height 1 inch x Width 1 foot, 2 inches x Depth 1 foot, 2 inches
Weight 49 troy oz
born in London England in 1771, was to become one of the most talented silversmiths of the nineteenth century. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver, found worldwide in museums and private collections, leaves one in awe when compared to that of his contemporaries.After having served a seven year apprenticeship from the age of 14, he began his career in 1792 when he went into a brief partnership with William Frisbee. This did not last and in 1793 a new mark, (his initials ‘P S’) was entered. By the beginning of the nineteenth century he had established himself as one of London’s top silversmiths producing, amongst others, commissions for Royalty.
In 1801 he married Elizabeth Susanna Beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 Paul Storr entered into a working relationship with Philip Rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell.
During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop. However it was through Rundell, Bridge & Rundell who were appointed Goldsmith in Ordinary to George III in 1804 that his reputation as a master silversmith grew. His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s designers, William Theed II, the chief modeller and head of the design department, and later John Flaxman II who succeeded him in 1817. During this period Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s reputation grew due to the patronage of the Prince Regent (later George IV).
Our reference: A2354