This is a wonderful English antique William IV sterling silver tray, or salver, by the world famous silversmith Paul Storr.
It has clear hallmarks for London 1837 the makers mark of Paul Storr and is also engraved Storr & Mortimer 36, they were Goldsmiths and Jewellers to Her Majesty’ (1822-1839).
It is typical of his work with the octafoil shape and the exquisitely detailed foliate and acorn rim. It is raised on four delightful foliate and shell scroll feet.
The centre is engraved with a shield shaped coat of arms encompassing the lion rampant.
There is no mistaking its unique quality and design, which is sure to make it a treasured piece by any discerning collector.
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 4 x Width 44 x Depth 44
Weight 63 troy oz
Dimensions in inches:
Height 1.6 x Width 17.3 x Depth 17.3
Weight 1.96 kg
born in London England in 1771, was to become one of the most talented silversmiths of the nineteenth century. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver, found worldwide in museums and private collections, leaves one in awe when compared to that of his contemporaries.After having served a seven year apprenticeship from the age of 14, he began his career in 1792 when he went into a brief partnership with William Frisbee. This did not last and in 1793 a new mark, (his initials ‘P S’) was entered. By the beginning of the nineteenth century he had established himself as one of London’s top silversmiths producing, amongst others, commissions for Royalty.
In 1801 he married Elizabeth Susanna Beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 Paul Storr entered into a working relationship with Philip Rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell.
During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop. However it was through Rundell, Bridge & Rundell who were appointed Goldsmith in Ordinary to George III in 1804 that his reputation as a master silversmith grew. His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s designers, William Theed II, the chief modeller and head of the design department, and later John Flaxman II who succeeded him in 1817. During this period Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s reputation grew due to the patronage of the Prince Regent (later George IV).
Our reference: 09765