This is a beautiful antique pair of fine quality Dresden porcelain pot pourri urns and covers, circa 1920 in date.
Each painted with harbour scenes on a patterned ground and bearing underglaze blue AR marks.
They are beautiful objects which will look fabulous in all surroundings.
In really excellent condition with no chips, cracks or signs of repair, and only very minor signs of wear comensurate with age and use, please see photos for confirmation of condition.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 41 x Width 23 x Depth 17
Dimensions in inches:
Height 1 foot, 4 inches x Width 9 inches x Depth 7 inches
Dresden porcelain – A King’s Obsession
In the early 1700s, King Augustus II, prince elector of Saxony, held goldsmith Johann Bottger prisoner and commissioned him to create gold. Bottger instead discovered the method of creating porcelain, a favored and valuable item in the king’s eyes.
The king announced to Europe in 1710 that he would open a porcelain manufactory in Dresden. He instead opened one at nearby Albrechtsburg castle. Espionage was rampant, and the king guarded his porcelain secret, even though it meant imprisoning workers within the castle walls.
By 1720, the secret was leaked and porcelain producers popped up in Vienna and Venice. Dresden porcelain adopted Saxon crossed swords in under-glaze blue as its distinguishing mark.
In 1736, the porcelain manufactory produced the “Swan Service.” It consists of 1,400 pieces, and is the largest, most lavish porcelain service ever created.
In 1872, Dresden built its own manufactory to better establish its role in porcelain production.
Our reference: A2776