A good quality sterling silver trophy cup and matching cover together with the original ebonised wooden plinth. Tall vase shape with sweeping side handles. Original gilt interior. The cup has many classical features including a deeply embossed band of acanthus leaf scrolls, half fluted body and cast pineapple finial. Weight 3708 grams, 119 troy ounces. Height 51.5 cms (cup and lid without plinth), 36 cms (cup only). Plinth 11 cms. London 1912. Maker Hunt & Roskell Ltd.
Biography – Hunt & Roskell, a firm of manufacturing and retail jewellers and silversmiths, was founded by Paul Storr in 1819, trading as Storr & Co. (1819-22), Storr & Mortimer (1822-38), Mortimer & Hunt (1838-43) and then Hunt & Roskell (1843-97). Hunt & Roskell, silversmiths and jewellers to Queen Victoria, had retail premises at 156 New Bond Street and a manufactory at 26 Harrison Street, near Clerkenwell. John Samuel Hunt, who had assisted Storr from the start, continued as a partner until his death in 1865, when he was succeeded by his son, John Hunt (d.1879). Robert Roskell, formerly a watchmaker and merchant of Liverpool, joined in 1844 and remained in the firm until his death in 1888. In 1889 the firm was taken over by J.W. Benson and continued in business as Hunt & Roskell Ltd until c.1965.