This is an exquisite cut glass and silver plate biscuit box by John Round Sheffield, dating from the late 19th Century.
The the cylindrical body features a cut glass liner with diamond cut pattern incased in a silver plated circular body with gadrooned border and raised on scrolled foliate clasp feet. The dome top hinged lid features a beaded board and there are a pair of scroll handles to each side.
Add an elegant and interesting touch to your next afternoon tea.
In excellent condition with clear makers marks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 21 x Width 24 x Depth 14
Dimensions in inches:
Height 8 inches x Width 9 inches x Depth 5 inches
JOHN ROUND Sheffield
The firm was established by John Round in Sheffield in 1847 as a small familiar workshop attached to his house in Tudor Street. The business proved successful and the firm in partnership with his son Edwin went under the title of John Round & Son (1863). In 1874 the firm became John Round & Son Ltd and in 1886 the business of Ridge, Allcard & Co (Lions Works, Eyre Lane) was amalgamated and John Ridge became the manager. Supposedly, in this period the JR & S mark was sometimes accompanied by the “four tridents” trade mark, previously used by Joseph Ridge. The main factory was the renewed Tudor Works, Tudor Street, Sheffield while various showrooms operated in London. The firm was active at Tudor Works Tudor St (1852-1934) and Pond Hill (1935-1957). The firm used an impressive array of trade marks/names:
Our reference: X0061