A large sterling silver tray of plain form with shell and gadroon borders and side carrying handles. Uninscribed. Excellent quality and good gauge silver. Weight circa 3,700 grams, 119 troy ounces. Spread 68cm. Length 55cm. Width 45cm. London 1898. Maker Charles Boynton II.
Biography – This business was founded by Charles Boyton, apprenticed in 1807 to William Seaman, his first hallmark 1825 (free in 1827). The workshop was active at 12 Europia Place, moving in 1830 to Wellington Street, St. Luke’s. From c.1849 the firm operated at Northampton Square, Clerkenwell (c. 1849-1904) under the management of Charles Boyton II (son of Charles, died 1899) and Charles Holman Boyton (grandson, died 1904).
In 1894 the business became Charles Boyton & Son and in 1919 Charles Boyton & Son Ltd. The firm encountered economic difficulties and in 1933 Charles Boyton & Son Ltd was created (active at Wardour Street from 1936 until 1977). In 1934 Charles Boyton (III) left the firm and opened his own business at 114 Marylebone Lane with retail premises at 98 Wigmore Street. His production in Art Deco style was engraved with a facsimile of his signature. The activity closed after 1948.