An excellent quality antique silver vase modelled after the famous Roman antiquity discovered at Tivoli during the 18th century. Heavy gauge silver and exquisite detail. Small size. Of typical campana form with entwined vine handles, the vase is applied with Bacchanalian heads and flaming torches, below which there is a lion’s head and paws to front and back on a background of hand executeded lion’s “fur”.
Weight 551 grams, 17.7 troy ounces.
Height 12.5 cm. Diameter 12 cm. Spread 15 cm.
Maker Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd.
GOLDSMITHS AND SILVERSMITHS COMPANY
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928). They acquired the London premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi. In 1893 the firm took over The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd trading as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch/clock makers. In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd. The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co had manufacturing workshops at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris. They were also retailers of goods by the manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)