A very stylish early electric mantel clock by ATO, dating from the Art Deco period of the 1930s.
The 5 1/4 inch chrome plated chapter ring is mounted on an octagonal perspex surround. The black Bakelite case provides the perfect backdrop to see the workings of the chromed movement through the dial centre, and the ticking pendulum passing over the arced magnet.
Powered by a 1.5V D-cell battery contained within the drum case behind the movement.
Leon Hatot began producing electro-magnetic clocks using this technology and under the ATO brand-name in 1920.