Brass Surveyors Level by Troughton & Simms, London
Sixteen inch extending telescope with original lacquer finish and spirit level.
The compass has a three inch silvered register plate, fine pivot and brass locking lever and is signed ‘Troughton & Simms, London’.
Mounted on a circular base and still retaining it’s original mahogany box. C.1830
Troughton and Simms are listed in ‘Barometer makers and retailers’ by Edwin Banfield as working from The Orrery, 136 Fleet Street, London from 1826 to 1900+
A partnership between Edward Troughton (junior) and William Simms, Troughton retired in 1831 but the business continued until, eventually, Cooke, Troughton & Simms Ltd was taken over by Vickers Instruments Ltd. The partnership made a large number and variety of barometers, including stick and wheel domestic types; also Fortin and Gay-Lussac station barometers. They were appointed instrument makers to the Board of Ordinance, London. The address became 138, Fleet Street c.1840.