This is an interesting example of an electric regulator wall clock dating from the 1930/40s. When new, these Brillié clocks could be regulated to an accuracy of +/- 1 sec/day.
The half second pendulum with Invar steel rod was specially constructed to avoid variations in temperature. It has a large bronze spherical bob over a curved magnet. The pendulum drives the motionwork by an electromagnetic system, powered with a 1.5V battery. This master clock could drive several slave clocks with synchronised timing.
The perfect 9-inch dial is signed L. LEROY & CIE., with Roman numerals and subsidiary seconds indication. Further, the dial includes an auxillary copper dial which revolves over 24 hours. The disc has 96 holes, one per quarter-hour. Inserting a movable pin into any one of these holes will create a contact which lasts for c.20 seconds, intended for automatically operating any number of call bells (or sirens) electrically attached to the clock.
The rectangular glazed mahogany case is perhaps the most decorative of all of the Brillié regulators. The top, base and glass door are lined with lacquered brass mouldings, and the fluted sides are gilt painted. The case has two clips at the top to affix it to the marble slab on which the movement is mounted, which itself fixes to the wall by way of a metal strip.
Large bold matching steel hands.
Overhauled and guaranteed for 3 years.
The clock is sold together with a copy of the BRILLIÉ ELECTRIC CLOCKS book from the Electrical Horology Group of the Antiquarian Horological Society