Drocourt for Leroy & Fils grande sonnerie Carriage Clock


Contact Dealer To Purchase

Object Description

A particularly small grande-sonnerie striking carriage clock by Leroy & Fils. The newly regilded gorge style of case is of ‘standard’ size for a carriage clock; grande sonneries are more usually housed in grande sized cases as there is so much more movement to accommodate. Indeed, it was necessary to adapt the frame of the case to accommodate the alarm hand when removing the movement for servicing.

The backplate of the movement bears several serial numbers- 4890 beside ‘AD’ within a circle and Drocourt’s number 21195. Drocourt’s trademark oval is also indistinctly stamped above. Also Leroy’s serial number 13693 is stamped to the centre of the backplate and repeated alongside their signature on the outer edge of one of the plates, visible through the side glass.

The white enamelled dial is in perfect original condition, the Roman time dial over the small Arabic alarm dial.

The eight-day movement strikes the grande sonnerie sequence on the quarters on a pair of gongs. That is to say, on the quarter, half and three-quarter hour the clock is ting-tang striking on two gongs following the hour strike.
The Sonnerie option gives a ting-tang strike on the quarters, with the hour (on one gong) only at the full hour. Silent is self-evident. There is also an hour repeat button on the top of the clock, which simply repeats the last hour struck. The strike selection lever is located on the underside of the base.

The movement is overhauled and guaranteed for 3 years.

Height (with the handle up): 16cms
Width: 8.5cms
Depth : 7.5cms

Le Roy et Fils were established by Basile Charles Le Roy in 1785 and were well known and fine makers of clocks. Basile Charles Le Roy was the Master Clockmaker to Napolean and along with his son Charles-Louis Le Roy were clockmakers to the Princess Paulineand the Duke de Bourbon. Examples of their work are in all the major collections as well in the Ministere de la Guerre, Paris.

The Maison de Le Roy was founded in 1785 at Palais Royal and continued until the death of Charles-Louis Le Roy at Versailles in 1865. Le Roy et Fils took on premises at 13-15 Galerie Montpensier, Palais Royal, Paris when the Duc d’Orleans opened the Palais Royal gardens for both the trade’s and public’s use with many prestigious shops opening under the arcaded walkways. From 1885, the London retail outlet of Le Roy et Fils was at 57 Bond Street, having moved from Regent Street.

Object Details

Dealer Opening Times

By appointment only.

Dealer Contact

+44 (0)1935 713333

Dealer Location

Bank Farm,
Lower Odcombe,
BA22 8TY

View Map