An early 20th century (circa 1920) carved wood, copper, painted and gilded two sided shop sign of ‘THE BALDOCK GALLERY’, the sign originating from ‘Randolph Antiques’, Baldock.
This decorative sign consists of a hardwood carved and gilded frame with egg and dart decoration with applied decorative carvings of oak leaves and acorns with a carved slip, the interior panel is of copper, hand painted with ‘THE BALDOCK GALLERY’ on both sides.
This sign originates from (Arthur) Randolph Brett from the early 1920’s, ‘Randolph Antiques’ was established in 1921 at ‘The Baldock Gallery’, High Street, Baldock, Hertfordshire, England.
‘Randolph Antiques’ was a member of BADA and exhibited at the Grosvenor House Antiques fairs for many years from the 1930’s and possibly earlier.
In 1946 ‘Randolph Antiques’ took on an apprentice called Baden Marston, aged just 14, in 1967 the company moved to the historic town of Hadleigh in Suffolk to a 15th century beamed and pargetted hall house in the High Street.
As the years passed Randolph Brett was nearing his retirement and at this stage Baden Marston became and partner and along with his wife Hazel they eventually took over the business.
Baden Marston had an extensive knowledge of antiques specialising in early oak furniture, mirrors, pewter and brass undertaking any restoration required himself.
In 1969 he was elected as a member of the British Antiques Dealers Association and throughout the rest of his life devoted much of his time to the association, in 2005 he was awarded the distinction of Honorary Membership and he chaired the furniture vetting committee at the fairs, he was also highly regarded amongst fellow dealers and was generous with his knowledge of the trade.
In 2005 Baden made the difficult decision to close the shop and ‘Randolph Antiques’ cased trading.
Provenance: from Baden Marston personal collection.
This shop sign is in very good condition for age, the original fixings having been removed at some point in the past.
Height: 35.75” / 90.75cm
Width: 29” / 73.5cm
Depth: 2” / 5cm