A finely made arabesque-frame skeleton timepiece dating from c.1870.
The elaborately scrolled polished brass frames are united by seven turned pillars. Unusually, this design has a third frame supporting the dial.
The single chain fusee movement has an 8-day duration with anchor escapement, with six-spoke wheel work throughout. The clock has a wooden rod pendulum with zinc cylinder bob. This, together with the other indications of very fine quality of craftsmanship point us to Evans of Holdsworth as the maker. The clock is unsigned, as was about 95% of Evans’ output.
The silvered pierced chapter ring has black Roman numerals with very bold black steel fleur-de-lys hands, which make telling the time by this skeleton clock rather easier than most.
The clock is mounted on a tiered oval veined marble base and is protected by a glass dome.