An excellent early English sterling silver cup of simple plain design. Heavy quality and hand hammered finish. To the front there is the hand engraved crest of a dog over a piece of rope. The heavy round and weighted base allows the cup to stay upright when knocked from side to side. Good gauge silver. Excellent patina.
Contains 135 ml.
Weight 94 grams, 3 troy ounces.
Height 5.2cm. Diameter 7.2cm.
Maker John Sutton
John Sutton,London silversmith, apprenticed to John Winterton 1661, turned over to Arthur Manwaring, free 1668. Sutton pursued a distinguished service in the Goldsmiths Company serving as Livery 1674, Assistant 1687, Touchwarden 1696, Third Warden 1701, Second warden 1703, Prime Warden 1707. His busy workshop bound 13 apprentices between 1668 and 1699.