A large and rare four-glass mantel regulator with coup perdu escapement and center seconds in a glazed, gilt bronze case. The clock was made in c.1870 by LeRoy & Fils, Paris.
The white enamel two-piece dial has Roman numerals on the outer chapter with a recessed center and a rare visible escapement with jeweled pallets. This ‘coup perdu’ (lost beat) escapement allows for a half seconds pendulum to show true seconds. The seconds hand only advances on alternate swings of the pendulum (similar to the chronometer escapement), thus allowing a pendulum beating 120 times per minute to advance the seconds hand 60 times in a minute. The rear of one arm of the escapement is signed Pointaux. Edme Laurent Auguste Pointaux (1809-1884) was the inventor of an ‘échappement à coup perdu’ in ca. 1853 . He started working in 1830 for Le Roy & Fils and never left.
The recessed center is signed LeRoy & Fils Galerie Montpensier, 13-15 Palais-Royal, Paris and 211 Regent Street, London.
Blued steel Breguet style hands.
The 8 day, bell-striking movement by Pons is wound from the front but has square plates and a hand-set knob on the back plate. The backplate is signed LeRoy & Fils, No. 8956, a Paris.
The clock is regulated by a heavy half-second temperature compensated 3-rod pendulum with heavy brass bob.
The clock is presented pre-restoration. The case retains much of its original gilding; some prefer that it is kept this way, but the price includes regilding of the case and pendulum and bezel parts. The movement will also be thoroughly overhauled prior to sale, and guaranteed for 3 years.
This clock was most likely retailed through LeRoy et Fils’ London outlet at 296 Regent Street, which was established in 1854, and catered to a wealthy English clientele. In 1863, LeRoy & Fils was appointed Watchmaker to Queen Victoria, the only foreign clockmaker that held a British royal warrant. They later secured a warrant to the Emperor of Brazil, and Queen Isabella II of Spain. The LeRoy firm were very highl;y regarded and regularly received high honors for their work in the major 19th century exhibitions of arts and industry.
Height: 47.5 cms ( 19 inches)
Width: 27 cms (10.5 inches)
Depth: 20 cms (8 inches)