A fabulously stylish striking wall clock of longcase clock proportions by Dwerrihouse, London c. 1800.
The pale mahogany case has a wealth of well-figured veneers – the trunk door and base are fiddleback mahogany veneers; the sides have contrasting curl veneers. The case has a well-constructed bulbous base, the bowed trunk door still remaining a perfect fit.
The hood door has a remarkably slim profiled surround and on opening reveals a handle to a wooden strut. On lifting and removing this strut, the trunk door is unlocked and removable.
The well engineered rack-striking movement has rectangular plates and scalloped wheel crossings. It strikes the hours on a bell.
The 16-inch silvered brass dial is signed DWERRIHOUSE, LONDON, with subsidiary seconds, and a strike / silent lever discreetly placed behind the round wooden bezel. The brass hands are of a simple yet seldom-seen design.
John Dwerrihouse was an esteemed clockmaker of repute, listed at 23, Charles Street, Berkley Square, London, working from 1770-1805. From 1800-1827 he partnered with Carter then in 1828-1842 with Ogston.
[source: Britten, F.J. (1986). Old Clocks and Watches and Their Makers]