This impressive railway clock once graced the platform of Boxhill Station on the London and Brighton line, its large 18-inch dial perfect for public use.
Supplied by Richard Webster of 74 Cornhill, London in 1863, this was originally made for L.B.S.C.R. (London Brighton & South Coast Railways) at a cost of £17-10-0d, with an annual maintenance cost of 6/- the initials LB258 remain on the back of the dial.
On the amalgamation of the Railways, it became the property of British Rail (Southern) and these initials, now faded, can still be seen on the dial below the XII under a good light. The 24-hours indication were added in red, and it was now signed for John Walker, who maintained the railway company’s clocks. The clock was renumbered 258B.
The clock retains the characteristic Webster hands.
The teak case has a chisel-shaped base below the long trunk door, and the hood has an architectural pediment. The hood slides forward to access the 8-day weight-driven longcase movement, the wood-rod pendulum with a cylindrical bob, and with a brass-bound weight.
The price includes delivery and setting-up within the mainland UK.