The leading bronze manufactory of the French Belle Epoque, Barbedienne, is responsible for the design of these exquisite candelabra. The Barbedienne foundry was established in 1838 by the famous bronzier, Ferdinand Barbedienne. The firm specialised in the production of artistic bronzes, which they sold to the European elite, including members of royalty. Barbedienne won numerous awards for the work they displayed at the great International Exhibitions of the 1850s, 60s and 70s. These candelabra are signed, ‘F. Barbedienne’.
Each candelabrum features three tiers of gilt bronze branches, which support a total of seven candle-holders. The branches are cast as scrolling vines, draped with foliage swags. They terminate in wide drip-pans and tall, urn-shaped capitals with sconces. The branches spring from the mouths of classical twin-handled amphora vases, which have been crafted from patinated bronze and parcel gilt. The top and bottom of each vase is gadrooned, and its body decorated with relief depictions of women in classical costume, seated in an interior setting. The vases are placed on square black marble plinths, with waisted and fluted tops. These are mounted with decorative gilt bronze bands, and set on gilt bronze foliate paw feet.