A fine quality twin fusee 8 day drop-dial clock by Griffiths of Ludlow, dated c.1870.
The eight day movement has shaped plates united by knopped pillars, and strikes the hours and the passing of the half hours on a coiled gong mounted on the backboard of the box. It has a majestic deep mellow tone.
The oak case has a very nicely carved dial surround of oak leaves and acorns, over a trunk with corresponding oak leaf and acorn ear-pieces. The pendulum aperture in the trunk has gothic arch moulding. The curved base has a locking access door, and both sides of the backbox have pendulum access doors.
The 12-inch painted flat iron dial has been restored using the original background white paint, having the numerals and name re-highlighted. It is signed W. H. Griffiths, of Ludlow.
Spun brass brass bezel.
Unusual matching original gothic hands.