In 1946 Picasso decided to visit the pottery exhibition in Vallauris. He took a particular interest in the Madoura stand and asked to be introduced to the owners – Suzanne and Georges Ramié.
They invited him to their Madoura Pottery workshop where he made three pieces which he left to dry and bake. He was delighted with the quality of the work and asked if he could make more and an area of the workshop was arranged especially for him. Immediately, he began to work, inspired by his portfolio of sketches.
The whole Madoura team became part of the creative process. They made sure Picasso had all the materials he needed and assisted in producing perfectly finished works The ceramics ranged from vases, sculptures, plaques to even a complete dinner service. The familiar themes included bullfighting scenes, portraits and nature – goats, birds, and fish. In 24 years over 633 pieces were created in limited editions all engraved with the Madoura stamp.