These wonderful oil lamps have been attributed to the prestigious ceramic company, Viellard & Cie. The firm was established in 1845 in Bordeaux, France. It was directed by Jules Vielliard in partnership with his two sons, Albert and Charles. These lamps are stamped ‘VC’.
The lamps feature swirl-patterned glass ball shades and clear glass chimneys. These cover the burners, which top gilt metal pierced collars with wick-raiser handles. The lamps’ faience bodies are oval-shaped with short cylindrical necks. The bodies are textured and painted deep maroon. They are further decorated with pink and blue plum blossoms with green foliage, and blue butterflies. The lamps stand on splayed gilt metal feet.