The Linnell firm was one of the most prominent firms of cabinet-makers of the second half of the 18th century, with commissions for a number of important country houses including amongst others the Dukes of Beaufort for Badminton House, Sir Robert Child for Osterley Park, the Dukes of Northumberland at Syon Park and Alnwick Castle and the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle. John Linnell was the son of the furniture maker William Linnell and one of the first English furniture makers to be educated in design, studying at St. Martin’s Lane Academy (founded by William Hogarth). In 1762 he started working closely with Robert Adam and in 1763, after the death of his father, he took over the family firm.
Linnell’s work, in line with contemporary fashion and taste, became increasingly classical in output, and the business grew to rival many of the other leading furniture makers of the day including Thomas Chippendale, Ince & Mayhew and John Cobb. Linnell in particular designed chairs in the fashionable Louis XVI manner.
An exceptional pair of George III carved giltwood armchairs attributed to John Linnell, each finely carved in detail with running honeysuckle and shot mouldings, with a gilt framed padded back surmounted by a tied ribbon & patera cresting. Carved seat frame and padded arms with carved giltwood terminals above tapered fluted front legs, the rear legs elegantly splayed. The back, arms and seat upholstered in green silk velvet.
Size: 38.5 inches (97.8 cm) high; 24.25 inches (61.6 cm) wide; 26 inches (66.1 cm) deep