Study of a Coachman
Pencil and brown wash, shaped
16.5 by 9 cm., 6 ½ by 3 ½ in.
(frame size 32 by 22.5 cm., 12 ½ by 9 in.)
Sudbury, Gainsborough House, 1979.
Sandby was born in Nottingham and moved to London in 1745. He and his brother Thomas first worked in the military drawing department at the Tower of London, later working on a military survey of new roads and bridges in the Highlands. On leaving this post in 1751 he spent some time living with his brother who had been appointed Deputy Ranger of Windsor Great Park. There he assisted his brother, and made a series of drawings of the castle, town and neighbourhood. In 1760 he settled in London where he contributed to the first exhibition of the Society of Artists where he regularly exhibited until the foundation of the Royal Academy in 1768, beoming one of its founder members. In same year he was appointed chief drawing master to the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich. He died at his house in Paddington on 7 November 1809, and was buried in the burial ground of St George’s, Hanover Square. He was described in his obituaries as “the father of modern landscape painting in watercolours”.