Regency Bracket Clock by
John Garth ,Harrogate
Mahogany case standing on a stepped base with ribbed decoration and standing on four brass ball feet, chamfered top surmounted by a brass pineapple finial.
Cast brass bezel with bevelled glass opening to a painted dial with Roman numerals signed ‘John Garth, Harrogate’. Original ‘blued’ steel moonpoise hands , side viewing apertures and brass ringed carrying handles.
Rear glazed door opening to a fine quality eight day Fusee movement with ‘A’ framed brass plates, anchor escapement and pendulum holdfast. C,1820
Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the world by Brian Loomes lists John Garth as working in Harroagte c,1790.
Yorkshire clockmakers also by Loomes records John Garth as being both a watchmaker and a jeweller keeping retail premises in Harrogate from c.1822-26, he also owned a shop in Knaresborough High Street from 1822-1844. Also listed is Thornton Garth ( thought to be John’s brother) who worked as a watch and clockmaker from the shop in Knaresborough, however, by 1834 it appears that he moved on to Bramley near Leeds and by 1850 he is listed as working from 15, Mason Street in Leeds.