This is a classically elegant regulator longcase clock made by Phillips Brothers of 31 Cockspur Street, London, dated c.1850.
Aesthetically, the proportions of this clock are delightful. The deep red cuban mahogany case is highlighted with ebonised detailing throughout the case. The glazed door is edged with brass trim, beautifully framing the giltwood rod pendulum with heavy brass pendulum bob, small brass weight and beat scale.
The 12 inch circular silvered dial is finely engraved with outer Arabic minute numerals framing the large subsidiaries for running seconds (with Observatory marks) and Roman hours, with three blued steel hands.
The 8-day movement is formed using substantial plates with six large vase-shaped tapering pillars. The mechanism attaches to the original thick seatboard by three L-shaped brass brackets. The movement is well engineered; each of the delicate wheels has six crossings with high pinion counts to the arbors. The wheels are set in place using adjustable end-stops. Another quality feature is the addition of jewelled deadbeat pallets. As would be expected, the movement benefits from Harrison’s maintaining power. The result of this elevated quality of engineering means that the clock is driven by a particularly small weight, leading to less wear and tear.
The giltwood rod pendulum is supported by a massive bridge attached to the backplate. The suspension is contructed so that the beat can be adjusted at this point. The massive brass bendulum bob is supported by a large engraved silvered rating nut.
Overall, this is a beautiful, elegant, well-proportioned original example, with all the high quality features that you would hope for.
Height: 2 metres (6ft 7ins)
The firm of Phillips Brothers was founded in 1839 and was run by Robert Abraham and Magnus Albert Phillips, at 31 Cockspur Street from 1846-55, then 23 Cockspur Street, London. The firm became known as Phillips Brothers & Son in 1869. Robert Phillips died in 1881 and in 1884 his son Alfred took over the business. After his death in 1900 the firm’s stock and good will were sold to the jewellers, D & J Welby of Garrick Street in 1902.
Current photos show the mechanism prior to servicing