Roman Oil Lamp with Cupid and Hercules Club

GBP 400.00

Contact Dealer To Purchase

Object Description

A fine Ancient Roman light terracotta oil lamp, featuring a short canal nozzle, a concave discus with one filling hole, and a single applied, pierced handle. The discus appears decorated with a moulded depiction of the winged Roman god of love, Cupid, portrayed in profile, leaning on the club of the hero Hercules. The image is bordered with engraved concentric circles. The reverse features engraved letters forming the maker’s name, NOVIUS. This refers to the Justus family, a prominent family of lamp-makers in the 1st and 2nd centuries AD. Large numbers of lamps bearing this signature have been found in North Africa, with the workshop believed to have been situated in El Djem, Tunisia. This lamp is classified as Loeschcke VIII; Bussière form D X 1.

Date: Circa 1st-2nd Century AD

Object History

Provenance: From the collection of Arno Jumpertz, Leverkusen, Germany, 1924-1984. Much of the collection was exhibited at the Neus Museum, 1985.

Object Condition

Condition: Extremely fine, with some erosions to the surface.

Object Details

  • material
  • dimensions
    W:7.2 x centimeters

Dealer Opening Times

By appointment only.

Dealer Contact

Telephone
+44 (0)208 364 4565
Mobile
+44 (0)7833231322
Web
Email

Dealer Location

The Gallery
Trent Park Equestrian Centre
Eastpole Farm House, Bramley Road
Oakwood, N14 4UW, United Kingdom

St James's Ancient Art
10 Charles II Street, Ground Floor
St James
London
SW1Y 4AA

View Map