Of military interest. A splendid set of 12 antique sterling silver dinner plates of plain form with a shaped reeded border. Excellent quality. Each bears the insignia of the 54th West Norfork Regiment with a crown above.
Total weight 6894 grams, 221.6 troy ounces.
Marks. Stamped on the reverse with a full and matching set of English silver hallmarks. All same maker. Originally from a set of at least 5 dozen plates, the plates are numbered on the reverse 15,16,18,24,42,43,45,46,47,50,51,52.
The company that was to become Garrard was founded by George Wickes (1698–1761), who entered his mark in Goldsmiths Hall in 1722. The company moved to Panton Street off Haymarket in central London in 1735 as a goldsmith and provider of jewellery and other luxury items to aristocratic patrons. Wickes was an accomplished silversmith known for his work in the rococo style, and gained the patronage of Frederick, Pribce of Wales. Two apprentices of Wickes, John Parker and Edward Wakelin, purchased the company following Wickes’ retirement in 1760, replaced by John Wakelin and William Taylor in 1776. Following the death of William Taylor, Robert Garrard became a partner in the company in 1792. Garrard took sole control of the firm in 1802, with his sons Robert Garrard II, James and Sebastian succeeding him. The company remained in the hands of the Garrard family until the death of Sebastian Henry Garrard, great-grandson of Robert Garrard senior, in 1946. The name Garrard & Company Ltd was registered in 1909, and the company moved to new premises in Albemarle Street in central London in 1911. In 1843, Queen Victoria appointed Garrard to the position of Crown Jewellers, leading to the production of numerous pieces of silverware and jewellery for the Royal Family, as well as the upkeep of the Crown Jewels.
Free Shipping Worldwide