Small Mahogany Mantel Clock by Webster, London
Break arch case with applied carved decoration resting on a shaped stepped plinth and standing on four brass ball feet.
Brass bezel opening to the silvered dial with Roman numerals, original ‘blued’ steel hands signed Webster, Queen Victoria Street, London.
The hinged back door opening to the eight day movement with platform escapement striking the hours and halves on a coiled gong. The backplate of the clock also signed Webster. C.1880
The Webster family clockmaking business was founded by William Webster and passed from father to son for almost 200 years.
William Webster was apprenticed to John Barnet in 1701 and then transferred to Thomas Tompion where he completed his apprenticeship and continued to work as a journeyman. This clock was made by Richard Webster (III) who inherited the business on the death of his father ( Richard II) and became free of the clockmakers company in 1844.
He moved the business from Cornhill to Queen Victoria Street in 1872, the business then passed to his son Richard Godfrey Webster who remained at Queen Victoria Street until 1902.
Richard Godfrey Webster was unfortunately not a good businessman and the firm ceased trading in 1914.