A fine rosewood striking four glass library clock by Desbois, London, dated c. 1850.
The clock is smaller than most library clocks, standing only 10 1⁄2 inches high with the handle down. The case is surmounted by a hinged gilt brass handle, the top bordered with an attractive decorative moulding and the base with an ogee moulding, all in excellent condition. All sides and top are inset with bevelled glass panels.
The eight-day chain driven double fusee movement is signed on the backplate Desbois, London. The movement has an anchor escapement and strikes the hours on a coiled gong.
The steel rod pendulum has a regulation nut above the brass bob.
The plain silvered dial is also signed Desbois, 10 Brownlow St., London. Desbois has used identical styling of intricate lancet hands on his carriage clocks, dating from a similar period.
Daniel Desbois was a well respected London clockmaker, who succeeded his father in business at 9 Grays Inn Passage, then 79 High Holborn, London. He made and sold clocks in small numbers from his London premises. Most likely they were made personally by himself therefore, rather than apprentices in the workshops that carried his name. It is likely that this clock was bought back by his son Edwin, who succeeded him in 1876 and who had premises at 10 Brownlow Street, London from 1902. As was common practice, the dial was likely upgraded by Edwin to more reflect the fashion of the time, or possibly by specific commission. Certainly both movement and case tell us the clock was mid 19th century, and therefore Daniel Desbois.
The clock is to be overhauled and guaranteed for 3 years.