These graceful sculptures were created in the late 19th Century by the prestigious French sculptor, Auguste Moreau (1834-1917). Auguste was born into a family of artists, which included his father Jean-Baptiste and his two older brothers Hippotyle and Mathurin. Auguste produced beautiful, naturalistic sculptures, often with an allegorical or pastoral subject matter. He exhibited his work regularly at the Paris Salon from 1861-1913. These items are signed ‘Aug Moreau’.
The sculptures take the form of free-standing, full-length female figures. Both women are young and are depicted striding forwards with their backs slightly bent and their heads turned to face one another. They are depicted barefoot, wearing simple dresses and bonnets. One girl carries a bread basket and sheaf of wheat, while the other holds a group of fowl and basket of fruit. The figures stand on circular bases, which are modelled as grassy mounds. These are encircled by decorative bands featuring oak leaf wreaths tied with ribbon bows. The bases are set on circular ebonised wood plinths.