Superb World War Two 12 x 60 (12 power magnification and 60 mm objective lenses) double telescope binocular by Carl Zeiss of Jena. A successful design used frequently on anti-aircraft range finders, typically in groups of three – two for the aimers and one for the firing technician. The oculars are inclined at 60 degrees to the horizontal to assist comfortable viewing. Made to Zeiss’s strict optical standards, this model is regarded highly for design and optical performance. An engraved plaque on the top of the binocular block is stamped with the manufacturer’s identification code (blc) indicating the maker (from 1940 the origin of German military equipment was intended to be obscured from the enemy by the use of these government-issued, three-letter codes).
The binoculars have been stripped of their original paint, the cast aluminium polished to a mirror finish and then mounted on a custom made cradle fitted to a period height adjustable wooden tripod stand. The optics have been fully refurbished to the highest standards. These binoculars come with a newly made hardwood floor stand to provide stability to the tripod.