Fine studio made pine cone lamp base in stoneware with a delicate pale blue glaze by Marcello Fantoni (1915-2011) – Florence, Italy, circa 1950-1960.
Born in Florence, Marcello Fantoni registered at the Institute of Art at Porta Romana in 1927 to attend the course The Art of Ceramics. He graduated in 1934 as a ‘maestro’ of art, and began working as a ceramist. In 1936 he established the Fantoni Ceramic studio.
His works can be seen at the Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York, the Brooklyn Museum, the Museum of Fine Art of Boston, the Currier Gallery, the Syracuse Museum. In Britain they are in the Victoria and Albert Museum of London, the City Art Gallery of Manchester, at Royal Scottish Museum of Edinburgh. In Japan they are present at the Museum of Modern Art of Tokyo and Kyoto. In Italy they are represented at the International Museum of Ceramics in Faenza, the National Bargello Museum and at the Gabinetto Disegni e Stampe of the Uffizi.
In 1970 he founded the International School of Ceramic Arts at his laboratory in via Bolognese in Florence where he continued to work and teach until his passing in 2011.